Oct 14, 2008

NYC Waterfall Tour

Yesterday was Columbus day and it was the last day that NYC Waterfalls were exhibited. I actually read the article about this public art project back in early spring and remember thinking it was such a wonderful project that would benefit a lot of people.

As the artist says that he wanted to bring some nature element in the city scene, thought the huge waterfall under the brooklyn bridge is something that people would like to see for once if they had a chance, it would not only promote the idea of public art, it would benefit NYC tourism for sure as well.


Although it was said the exhibition was going to be this summer and I thought I would love to take a look if I had a chance, as you may already know, I was very busy during last several months and I almost forgot about it. But luckily, I happened to see the TV commercial about this waterfall about a week ago, and I finally made a visit on the last day of the exhibition.
There were four waterfalls, 1 under the Brooklyn bridge, 2 Brooklyn bridge pier, and 1 north shore of Governors Island. I think I could see at least three of them. (I might have seen all 4 ...) There were many ways of seeing this waterfalls, from Manhattan, from ferry tours, etc. The city was offering free Staten Island ferry ride for this waterfall tour, so I tried that one.
.....And, my impression for these waterfalls was... "Oh.....that...."
Overall I loved it. But, I also must add that the frame for the waterfalls were little too big, too exposed and it made the waterfalls looked more like "fountain". (There were actually people calling it "fountains") Well, as far as I remember, in their anticipating finished image that I saw in spring, the frame part wasn't shown like that, probably neither did in artist's finished images.
But, it must be much more beautiful when it is lit at night. In my visit, I couldn't wait 4 more hours there to see the illuminated ones. But, the people who had nice evening nights at South Street Seaport this summer must have enjoyed it very much.

These are the photos of the NYC waterfalls that I took.
From the view of the waterfall from South Street Seaport. (My best possible angle.)

The waterfall of Governors Island

The waterfall of Brooklyn Bridge Pier

Bad angle one.
And of course, the Statue of Liberty from Staten Island Ferry



The artist who initiated this project is Olafur Eliasson and it was funded by Public Art Fund.
For more about this project and hear the interview of the artist, please visit:
http://www.nycwaterfalls.org/.


Love, Yoshika

No comments:

Post a Comment