Jun 5, 2009

Japan Day 2009

Actually I started to write this entry on May 31st which was Japan Day 2009. The huge Japanese event which includes, mini marathon, Japanese food samplings, music concert, Bonodori (Japanese traditional dance)...and more were held at Central Park.
Despite the decreased numbers of Japanese businessmen in New York, the event itself seems to be getting bigger and bigger. According to their website, the purpose of this event is to promote deeper understanding of Japanese culture and, to say "Thank you, New York!" It seems many American people visited this event last year as well. Which I think is very nice:-)))
This event was the third time this year. Last year, I was kind of busy preparing to go back to my country... So, I didn't know. The first year, I didn't know it at all. I think it used to be like a much smaller scaled street festival.... I have been to those a couple of times before. Since I haven't been to many Japanese events in New York, I thought I was going to go to this "Japan Day" this year...well, in my case, mostly for the purpose of Japanese food samplings, though....(It was free!) But there was a change of plan at the last minutes and I couldn't go. On the news that I saw on the next day, the event itself seemed a huge success and I was actually surprised with its scale. It's really a shame that I missed it.
So, instead of my photos or videos that I thought I was going to share on this blog, I was waiting to see someone else's nice YouTube videos to come out....
Well, unfortunately, I haven't found the one that really shows the whole thing of the event yet. But, I have managed to find a couple of good ones. What was funny to me the most was that there were many cosplayers (American people!) who wear costumes of some animation characters :-D As someone who grew up watching those Japanese animations, I really appreciate it!!






If you are interested in the event, you can visit the website http://japandaynyc.org/main/
There are some videos, including "how to do BonOdori" which is quite funny, actually.

Love, Yoshika

No comments:

Post a Comment